You are here
Limited Submissions are funding opportunities in which the sponsor only allows a specific and limited number of proposals from a given institution. Extra submissions can result in rejection of all submitted by that institution.
ANNOUNCEMENTS OF FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
Staff from the U-M Office of Research curate, announce, and facilitate limited submission funding opportunities. As of October 30, 2020, UMOR will no longer distribute weekly emails announcing limited submissions. A highlighted list of Calls for Intent to Submit and Limited Submissions internal competitions will be posted in the Research Blueprint newsletter that will be distributed bi-monthly (sign up here). For a comprehensive list of currently open limited opportunities, visit the UMOR Limited Submissions Homepage.
Whenever possible, we first post a call for intent to submit to gauge faculty interest in a particular funding opportunity. If there is more interest than number of submissions allowed by the sponsor (e.g., four faculty have expressed interest in applying to an opportunity where the sponsor only allows one proposal from U-M), we will announce an internal competition. We will re-advertise any funding opportunities that require an internal competition, with a goal to provide as much time as possible for the internal selection process and preparation of proposals by the selected applicant(s).
POLICES AND PROCEDURES
- Staff within the Office of Research identify and advertise hundreds of limited funding opportunities each year. However, faculty or staff occasionally identify limited funding opportunities that are not included in our listing. If you find a funding opportunity of interest and believe it is limited, but do not see it here or in our archived emails, you still must follow our process by letting us know which funding opportunity you have identified. This process is critical: extra submissions can result in the sponsor's rejection of all proposals from the University of Michigan.
- If the sponsor deadline has not expired but the internal deadlines have passed, you may be able to still apply to the sponsor. Contact us. We typically default to a first-come, first-served basis for approving submissions to a sponsor if U-M has not exceeded the institutional limit on the number of proposals.
- For limited funding opportunities that require an internal competition, the U-M Office of Research coordinates a confidential internal review of proposals. Reviewers are limited to U-M faculty on the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses. Final selections are made by the Vice President for Research or a delegated authority based on input from peer review, standing committees, and/or other sources of feedback.
- We strive to share timely reviewer comments on all proposals, regardless of their selection status, following the peer review process.
APPLYING TO A FUNDING OPPORTUNITY
When you see a funding opportunity in the email communication or on the website that captures your interest:
- Navigate to the specific funding opportunity on the limited submissions website.
- Choose Apply.
- Follow the prompts to provide your contact information. You will need to log-in using your U-M username and password.
- If submitted correctly, you will receive a confirmation.
- Contact UMOR firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
NOTE: U-M has a site license for InfoReady Review to manage limited submissions and other internal grants programs. For questions about the use of this tool in your own unit, please contact us at Request.Infoready@umich.edu.
Depending on the funding opportunity, staff in the Office of Research, Foundation Relations, Business Engagement Center, or other units may provide additional resources for proposal development to faculty who have been selected to submit to the sponsor.
Medical School competitions
The U-M Medical School (UMMS) manages a limited number of competitions for medical-focused funding opportunities. These are posted to the UMMS Competition Space website NOTE: faculty from other units may still be eligible to apply to these funding opportunities.
Dearborn and Flint Campuses
Effective June 25, 2020, the institutional limits for limited submission opportunities will now apply to the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses separately. Researchers therefore will only compete with others from their own campus during internal competitions. UMOR will continue to support all three campuses by curating, promoting, and administering limited submission opportunities through weekly RAPid emails and the Infoready Review site, and will work with representatives from each campus to manage internal competitions when necessary. Any questions can be sent to UMORlimitedsubmissions@umich.edu.
In upcoming communications/calls for intent weekly emails, we will continue to highlight the fact that the institutional limit applies to each campus individually. We will also make all efforts to identify any opportunities that are specific to an individual campus.
It is important to note any prior submissions to specific funding opportunities, and feedback from the sponsor—especially in cases where a sponsor encourages resubmission. We will strive to follow up on the status of proposals submitted in previous cycles before making a final decision.
When applying, you will be prompted to login. If you are affiliated with the University of Michigan, you need to use your uniqname and Kerberos password. Please do not use @med.umich.edu account.
Upon logging in for the first time, the following screen may appear. This is standard when we use third party services, and we need to adhere to University policies on those related sites. Just choose “Ask me again if information changes” and Confirm.
Share Your Experience
We welcome your questions and feedback. Like you, we want to avoid paper trails, email threads, or missing data, or attachments in multiple places. We hope to make this process as seamless as possible. Thank you!